Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Meet Carla McDonald





Carla McDonald
Started with Beka mid June, 08


At the beginning of this year, I found myself at a terribly unhealthy weight and an even unhealthier place emotionally and mentally. I had been trying this and that weight loss program and had taken off a few pounds from my all time high of 208 the previous year, but still had a long way to go.

I was fairly familiar with the gym, but I needed more help with a lifting and cardio plan than most programs like WW or Jenny Craig offer. I remembered BFL and having seen several friends have great success with it. I bought the book and started on February 19th.

My first Challenge was great and put in place several really healthy habits that I hope to hang on to for life. After that first Challenge, however, I wanted to kick it up a notch… and kick it up I DID. I hired Beka and haven’t looked back.

Having a structured diet with calories, fat grams, carbs and protein formulated for ME and MY workouts was key, I think. Everyone is different. It has been great to have someone either eyeball my pictures or see me in person (I live about 3 hours from Beka) and gear a program specifically to help me meet my personal goals.

When I started BFL in February, I was rapidly pushing out of a size 16. When I finished my first Challenge, I was comfortable in 12’s and some 10’s. Today, after 5 months with Beka, I’m wearing size 2 jeans. I can hardly believe it. Dreams come true if you make them.

Knowing that I am such a goal driven person, Beka thought it would be great for me to compete in a Figure comp just to see if I liked it and to provide that added incentive to bust it hard in the gym and eat clean with a purpose. I’m proud to say that I met that goal last weekend at the Kentucky Muscle Show. I had a blast and feel an amazing sense of accomplishment for having done well.

But I’m not stopping there.

My next goal is to wake up on my 1 year anniversary of this fantastic journey (in February) weighing in at a mean 138, which will be 70 pounds from where I started. At 5’10’’, that’s a very ambitious weight goal, but I know I can do it. And I’m excited to get back into the gym and work hard in order to see it happen.

Beka has been not only a great motivator and teacher for me, but a loyal friend as well. I probably would’ve gotten lazy and eaten away (literally) all my progress had I not found her and taken a chance on this crazy little spitfire of a woman from Lebanon, TN. I’m a different person inside and out for having done so! And if an unhappy 208 pound 42 year old can do it, anyone can!

If you think you can or can’t, you’re right!

No comments: